Sunday, August 2, 2009

Second Month

These are my friends who are doing the Birth Attendant School with me and our staff.
Top left: Paula from NZ (staff) , Robyn from Australia (staff) , Priscilla from Canada, Kali from Texas, Katie from Wisconsin, Cara from Florida, Hyn Suk from South Korea, Bek (staff) , Taylar from Canada, Me from Louisiana, Synnove from Denmark. Second row from left: Melissa from Canada (staff) , Emily from England, Corinna from Germany, Darcy from the States but her home is now Perth.. she is our school leader, Fia from Canada, Marchien from the Netherlands, Alana from NZ, and sitting down in the pink and blue are Daphne from the US and Reinette who is from South Africa.
We found out that we are going to the Philippines, Tanzania and India. We are all very happy!!!!Midway through our outreach we are coming back to Perth for two week for YWAM's 50th anniversary and YWAM Perth's 25th anniversary. Loren and Darlene Cunningham will be here at our base.

Last week we had Leslie from the Philippines with us teaching us about antenatal care. On Friday our classroom was set up like a mock clinic; some of us were the "midwives" and some were "pregnant mom's". It's now the beginning of my second month being here in Australia. We will be taught about labor and delivery next week.

I've had a little cough and sore throat for over a week now and it's been going around - then last night it got worse and I was running a fever of 38.8 degrees celsius..
I slept most of the day and was drinking water and took something to reduce the fever which finally did come down at 2:30 this afternoon.
Right now the other girls are at a kangaroo park but Marchien and I are home because we're still a little weak from being sick and we both have homework to catch up on that is due tomorrow morning. Before I got really sick last night we had a dance at our base and my school performed a dance from the movie Slumdog Millionaire. One of the girls got a video of it and so I will try to post that video soon.

One of my good friends from home is due to deliver her first baby girl within the week! I so wish I could be with her. I am so excited!

Hingles I don't know if you read this blog, but thank you so much for the birthday package! That was so sweet! Mom, it was great to skype with you the other night!


I'm walking back home now with Marchien. We're going to study. Thanks for reading. Check back soon for more updates =)


- Orissa

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see the faces & names of some of your new friends! (: Glad school is going well. Take you vitamins, drink lots of water, be good! (: Sydney's got a bit of a cold right now as well. Glad to hear your fever's coming down though. I'll email you today sometime. (:

    Miss you & love you very much.

    Love, Mij

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Orissa,
    It's really fun to read your blog and hear about everything. I hope you'll be 100% better soon!
    Keep up the good work!
    Aunt Michelle
    p.s. I would like to have you send me some vegemite. Can you find out the price of a tube and let me know? I will send $$ for several tubes plus postage if that is do-able for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Orissa! I am so glad I finally found your blog, thanks Miji for your FB post. Mom mentioned the name of your blog but I just couldn't get it right. Glad we are connected. We are praying for you almost every nite, girl! Please, Skype us anytime too! I'll em you our skype name. I have 3 skype accounts, long story. Kids would love to see you. Please, keep healthy. I heard the swine flu has been going around here too, in CA. But, thank you Jesus all our kids seem to be doing well, even with the climate change. It's been as hot as 112 here. 38.8 is high. I still read C and now that I know F it can get confusing. I've had 39.4 before. My mom put me on my feet in 24 hours. It wasn't the funnest experience (ask me for details in an em please) but I was back at work the next day. Wild stuff. I hate sore throats more than anything else. Hope you recover quickly. Please, keep posting. Love, Aunt Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to find your blog and hear how you are doing. Keep posting! Miriam got to "deliver a baby" in her EMT class this week. It was a mannequin. She enjoyed learning about it.
    Grace is due in 2 weeks and we can hardly wait.
    Pam True

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orissa! I gave birth to a beautiful little girl yesterday at 2:01 pm. I had a 16 hr labor from start to finish and delivered at the hospital ALL natural I might add in a birthing tub. The tub was wonderful to have and God really blessed the whole birth. Everything went smooth except the last 5 hrs. I stayed at 9 cm dialated cause my water wouldnt break. Craig and I finally grouped ourselves together and had some prayer and cried out to God for help with that. Within 20 min. my water broke on its own before the dr. got there to break it, cause I really didnt want that. My mom, Cheryl Cato, Cheyenne,Angelle Johnson(took pics) and Craig were there for the whole birth. Everyon said I birthed Gracefully, and so is fitting her name
    Stella-Grace, Adair Cato.
    Born august 4th at 2:01 pm was 6lbs 15 oz and 20 in. long.
    Ps. wanted you to know I thought about you all day and prayed for you as well, I hope you had a peaceful day.Stella Grace has an awesome Man of God to be rememered with! Love you o
    lOVE cHRISTAH Cato

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. photos of the birth and Stella-Grace are on Facebook, love ya

    ReplyDelete