Sunday, January 3, 2010

SUNDAY

The sky was darkening above us,

Our careful footsteps matched the soft pitter patter of water falling…

Loosening from the clouds;

The rain fell with a soft cool breeze

We continued walking, the group of us

Beside me she prayed for the heavens to hold back

But I spread my arms wide open and turned my face to embrace the impending downpour

The Church on a hill was nearing our view,

At that moment, all at once, the sky poured out a heavy burden on us

We ran for shelter wherever it could be found;

Some under trees,

While others pressed close to the side of cement houses,

I found my way shrieking and laughing into a small room, perfect for waiting out a storm

I met others there,

And we sang together in the rain; the spray welcoming itself in through the open window

In the distance we could hear drums

Drums coming from that little Church on a hill…

As we peered out the open window,

We saw steam rising from the rolling green hills,

Bending and swaying in the wind, the palms stood strong in the beautiful landscape set before us

Also there, we saw two young African boys were enjoying the rain as well

We saw them take off down the muddy road, wearing nothing at all as they ran with their backs to us

They quickly disappeared into the greenery…

And we decided to run too,

We stepped out of our dry shelter and ran,

Down the slippery, water washed dirt hill we ran

Into the plastic chairs of a beautiful Church with a roof but no walls,

A dirt floor,

With puddles of water,

With so much joy – we entered

We let our voices rise with theirs as our hearts lifted up praise to God,

“Thank you for the rain, Lord.”

Together we prayed that our own lives would be like that rain,

Bringing refreshment to our communities, and to the land we live on, in the name of Jesus.



It's a new year,

Orissa

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Orissa.......(:
    God has blessed you so much my dear sister, and He's given you a beautiful way to convey your experiences through written word. I am so happy, so thankful that you are my sister (even, no, especially with that head of yours that's always filled with ideas!) Stay strong....and cherish this time that you are in Tanzania.

    I miss you, and I love you, and I will see you very soon! (:

    Love from your possibly soon-to-be electrician/naturopathic doctor sister(; ,
    Marijah

    1 John 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a perfect Sunday! I wish you had gotten a picture of those two streakers running in the rain! You celebrated the rain just as I would have- "with arms wide open"! It's the only way to show God that we are just as thankful for the sunshine as we are for the rain. Both give life!!
    Love,
    Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete