Friday, January 8, 2010

"Jesus loves these women!"

Orissa Mora - Kent

Monday January 4, 2010

I was working in the hospital last Monday taking care of women in the postnatal (after they deliver) ward. One woman caught the attention of another student who then called me over to her bed. We checked the woman and discovered that she had been sent over from the labour ward with an unrepaired tear that looked quite bad. We called for one of the doctors to come who had experience repairing tears.

“First, she will need a catheter to empty her bladder, and the hospital doesn’t have any more,” said the doctor. This was a serious situation; her tear needed immediate attention. By saying this, he meant, “There is nothing I can do right now.” She didn’t have any money, so she would have to wait for until her family came and brought a catheter.

It was at that exact moment that Emily walked by and said “I have a catheter, she can have it!” the doctor looked at her a moment and then asked “Did you buy it with your own money?” rubbing his fingers together.

She smiled and said, "Yes, Because Jesus loves these women.”

And then she left to get the catheter. I was still standing there with the doctor and he was obviously very touched by this act. I looked at him and he looked at me with moist eyes as he shook his head saying, “I would never expect someone like you to do something like this for one of these women."

Breathing in the beauty of this moment, I echoed Emily’s words, “It is because Jesus loves them, and we love them.”

This man, a doctor and a Muslim looked at me and said, “I know – and that is what I appreciate about you; you love.”

In the end, the woman got the catheter and her tear was successfully repaired. It was so cool to see how a simple act, done in love, at the right moment, could have such a tremendous impact on a doctor and make such a difference for that woman. That is how Jesus is; His love changes people’s lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment