Friday, December 4, 2009

One students experience of hearing God's voice..

The update posted below can also be found on the YWAM Perth website - ( http://www.ywamperth.org.au/ ) Thanks for reading!
P.S. the girl who wrote the update below is my classmate and fellow midwife :)

29/11/09
NOVEMBER UPDATE FOR THE BAS IN TANZANIA
By Katrina Roraff

One students experience of hearing Gods voice and drawing closer to Him in the midst of suffering and sorrow.

The month of November has come and gone in the blink of an eye, with so many memories and images imprinted in my mind forever. I couldn’t think of a better way to have spent November. Our team has assisted in over 60 deliveries already! As the primary deliverers we act as “gatekeepers” and pray for the future of the child. Last week, one doctor friend of ours became our ‘brother’ during a lunch break! He has been joining us in our early morning prayers before we start work. We are hoping and praying for more to join!!!! Our school has been busy! We have been providing healthcare to an average of 80 women and babies per day! It has been such a thrill to be learning more and more skills: taking blood, setting up IV’s, taking blood pressures, giving shots, listening to fetal hearts, etc. It has been even more rewarding to be with the mama’s. Smiling, saying what little Swahili I know, praying with them, holding their hand as they cry over the child that didn’t live, comforting, and reassuring them. As I walked through the Postpartum (after birth) Ward, I smiled and rejoiced with one mama, then I turned around and took three steps and there stood a mama who had no child. In ICU there were two mama’s who had gone in for C-section. One had two beautiful babies, and the other sat empty handed. I was asking God about this. All I kept hearing Him say was that He sees. He is not ignoring. He has not forgotten. He is crying. He is calling. He is there. He sees. He sees. I saw 2 C-sections within 7 days. Both were urgent, emergency procedures. Sadly, neither child even had the chance to breath. Both were declared stillborn. Both were beautiful little girls. The last C-section was just this past Thursday. She weighed less than 1 kg (less than 2 lbs). As I held her in my arms all I could hear, over the discouraging voices of those who had seen so many deaths before, was His voice. He saw her. Being the hands and feet of Christ took on a whole new meaning for me in that moment. ‘The other night I watched the sunset with God. They are so beautiful, yet it is quite sad to see another day melt away. It is also sad to think that sometimes you miss the sunset because you are too busy. However, the beauty and subtle sadness of sunsets gives me hope. If one can find extreme beauty in the simple moment of a sunset, how much more beauty can be found in the simple moment of a life. We may miss it, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t there. He sees. Hope inside of pain. I suppose every person is like a sunset. You never see the same sunset twice. No one sunset is ever the same. Those girls were like sunsets. There will never be another like them. I can’t believe that I had the incredible opportunity to see them. ‘ It has been such a blessing to get to know the doctors and nurses. They work so hard, and they are searching for answers to their questions. Please pray that the doctors and nurses of the Hospital find Truth. Pray that we will have boldness to tell them about the Truth. It is a constant prayer of ours that our fellow co-workers will come to know Him. We have already had so many moments where we have been able to pray for them and share stories… please pray for more opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment